It's only Tuesday and I'm distracted by a million different things. Whatever minuscule ability I have to focus for longer than five minutes on anything that's not on TV has apparently fled for greener pastures, or perhaps is still sitting on the beach getting the tan that my body can never seem to get. For example:
- We have to plan a trip to Spokane in April so my daughter can bond with her grandparents before she graduates high school, and so we can see my brother before he ships off to Iraq. We might as well be flying to the dark side of the moon as far as the airlines are concerned, since they want to route us through Sao Paolo or Auckland to get there. The departure times are all hours before vampires crawl back into their coffins, and the flights are priced using the old supply/demand curve from microeconomics, in which I pay the most and get screwed because I'm the only person who wants to go there. God forbid I can decide on a flight, though...I'll probably have to fit Oodgie into an overhead bin by the time we actually pull the trigger.
- I took Friday off so I could simultaneously watch 32 college basketball games, but realized this morning that it also happens to be St. Patrick's Day. It's the perfect storm. Unless I get to a bar at 6 AM and stake out a good seat I'm going to get pissed off at being pushed by the rowdy crowds and end in a fight with a drunk off-duty police officer and wake up in a pool of green beer and peanut shells. And since I took Friday off the selection committee decided to schedule my alma mater's game on Thursday instead, which pretty much guarantees some accusation of me being a deadbeat dad before the weekend is over.
- A buddy of mine is getting married this summer, and some of us guys are trying to put together his bachelor party. He's one of those guys who has rallied for us more times than we can count, so we want to do it right and give him a send off that he won't remember but his future wife will hold over his head for eternity. Having eliminated my initial suggestion, We're trying to decide between two options, but, like the Spokane trip, are having a hard time pulling the trigger.
- I'm still stunned by the season finale of the best show on television and can't get it out of my head. Also, I'm three weeks behind on 24 and people keep dropping hints about certain people dying and I need them to stop! Earmuffs! LA LA LA LA LA!
- I may need to hire a plumber.
- I got a parking ticket last week. God damn traffic cops. On principle I have to dispute it, because the laws of physics involved in a cop legitimately writing and issuing a ticket in the .006 nanoseconds which I may or may not have been vulnerable to infraction defies scientific explanation.
- I'm theoretically supposed to be working right now. How do you think that's going?
Lack of motivation is clearly at work here, as is my perpetual disorganization. Is anyone else having a day like that today?